Bucket List Travel
At a recent gathering with some fellow savvy travelers, the topic of bucket lists came up. This time, it was not a bucket list of locations that we wanted to visit, rather, the different modes of transportation that we would like to take.
Here are six of our favorites – in no particular order.
- The Orient Express: There is just one week-long trip every year that retraces the original route from Paris to Hungary to Budapest to Sinaia to Bulgaria to Istanbul. The trip takes place in August, and at $13,748. for a double cabin, it might be on our bucket list for a while. In the meantime, we can dream about having our own personal steward, enjoying afternoon teas and gourmet dinners, and of course, the beautiful scenery.
- Trans-Siberian Railway: We think it would be fun just to say, “Oh, we are planning on going to Hanoi on the Trans-Siberian Railway.” For that matter, you could also say Hong Kong, Shanghai, Moscow, Beijing, and number of other incredible destinations. It seems like just the right combination of glamour and adventure.
- River Cruise: We hear they are wonderful! Peaceful, gorgeous scenery and delicious wines and meals… We have our sights set on the 23-day journey, The European Sojourn, on Viking River Cruises. You sail through eight countries on the Rhine, Main, and Danube rivers, embarking in Amsterdam and finishing in Romania. They even have an organic herb garden on board. Divine.
- Ferry Boats: We love all kind of boats – including ferries. We hear that the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki across the Baltic Sea is an affordable adventure worth taking.
- Tall Ships: Boats, sailing, cruising, ferries – being on the water is always where we want to be. It would be a dream-come-true to take a journey on a tall ship. This trip on the Wylde Swan, the world’s largest topsail schooner, caught our eye. The 34-day trip begins in New Brunswick, Canada and crosses the Atlantic to the Netherlands. Sailors will learn how to hoist sails, climb the yard, and how to navigate. There is still time to sign up – it leaves on August 27th.
- Hot Air Balloons: While we would love to go Around the World in 80 Days, a la Jules Verne, or travel home from the wonderful land of Oz, we would happily settle for a balloon ride over Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. Watching the sunrise over the plains, home to gazelles, zebras, hippos, lions and more, would be too magnificent and humbling for words.
No matter how we decide to get around, via railcar, balloon, or any type of water vessel, we will always be cozy and comfortable with our HappyLuxe travel accessories. Traveling with kids? We've got you covered there, too.
Pack the The Paris Travel Set, with the Escape Sleep Mask, the Odyssey Travel Pillow, and the Wayfarer Wrap, with its built-in neck warmer, is lightweight, easy to pack, and guaranteed to infuse all your journeys with comfort. Don’t leave home without them.